2021 Core Values Awards Winner | Infrastructure (Construction)
Apex Park Co-design | Rail Projects Victoria, CPB Contractors and Design Jam
Highlights at a glance
- Rail Projects Victoria, CPB Contractors and Design Jam collaborated to deliver a co-design opportunity to the community of Stratford in Victoria, to design a range of improvements to Apex Park as part of the Gippsland Line Upgrade.
- The Apex Park improvements formed part of the project to build a new bridge over the Avon River, which is now complete, allowing trains to travel at up to 90 km/h on the new structure, a significant improvement on the 10 km/h speed limit on the old bridge.
- The co-design process encompassed the design of a new BMX/pump track, nature-based playground, mural and landscaping.
- The process ensured that anyone within the Stratford and surrounding community was given the opportunity to participate – with a significant emphasis placed on the involvement of local children through a tailored engagement program with the two primary schools.
- The project demonstrated agility and flexibility in adapting to collaborating in a virtual environment and leveraged online technology in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which prevented face-toface engagement through much of 2020.
- The program demonstrated a commitment to fit for purpose, respectful and suitable engagement opportunities for all participants.
- The co-design process was regarded as a transcendental way of including the experiences and demonstrating First Nations peoples connection to country.