As an international leader in public participation, IAP2 has developed the IAP2 Core Values for Public Participation for use in the development and implementation of public participation processes. The Core Values define the expectations and aspirations of the public participation process.
IAP2 Core Values
- Public participation is based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process.
- Public participation includes the promise that the public’s contribution will influence the decision.
- Public participation promotes sustainable decisions by recognising and communicating the needs and interests of all participants, including decision makers.
- Public participation seeks out and facilitates the involvement of those potentially affected by or interested in a decision.
- Public participation seeks input from participants in designing how they participate.
- Public participation provides participants with the information they need to participate in a meaningful way.
- Public participation communicates to participants how their input affected the decision.
Basic ethics and courtesy require that a clear acknowledgement of the International Association for Public Participation – IAP2 International, as the source for this information is required in all cases. To use, copy or reproduce this information, you are required to submit a written request to the IAP2 International Executive Director: email@example.com. To facilitate your request, kindly complete the application form and submit it to IAP2HQ for consideration.