- Public participation is based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process.
- Public participation includes the promise that the public’s contribution will influence the decision.
- Public participation promotes sustainable decisions by recognising and communicating the needs and interests of all participants, including decision makers.
- Public participation seeks out and facilitates the involvement of those potentially affected by or interested in a decision.
- Public participation seeks input from participants in designing how they participate.
- Public participation provides participants with the information they need to participate in a meaningful way.
- Public participation communicates to participants how their input affected the decision.
Basic ethics and courtesy require that a clear acknowledgement of the International Association for Public Participation – IAP2 International, as the source for this information is required in all cases. To use, copy or reproduce this information, you are required to submit a written request to the IAP2 International Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. To facilitate your request, kindly complete the application form and submit it to IAP2HQ for consideration.