Support the call for an International Year of Participation!
Imagine a whole year that celebrates public participation through international events, collaboration and capacity building. You can help make it happen.
IAP2 Australasia is leading the charge to create a proposal to the UN for an International Year of Engagement and Public Participation. Sign up on this page to show your support for the idea on behalf of your organisation, or an individual.
What would be the objectives of a year of participation?
An international year, promoted and supported by the UN would allow us to create a year-long campaign of events and activities to:
- Build awareness and focus attention on an enabling environment for engagement and public participation – for e.g. legislation, institutional mandates, education.
- Build capacity for engagement, benefiting from proven methods.
- Mobilise engagement and public participation to support the 2030 Agenda and achievement of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- To contribute to the health and wellbeing of all and build peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet.
What’s happened so far?
- We’ve received support from 21 Australian organisations, and three from New Zealand. A further six organisations from Great Britain, South Africa, Finland, India and Egypt. That’s a total of 30 so far! See the full list of supporters on this page.
- We already have an existing partnership with UNESCAP to promote systematic, quality engagement of stakeholders and the public.
- In 2015, United Nations countries adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 SDGs. The SDGs seek to end all forms of poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change, while ensuring that no one is left behind. Businesses, government and individuals around the world have since been mobilised to meet these ambitions targets by 2030.
How to get involved:
- Show your support for call for an International Year of Participation by completing the form below. You’ll be acknowledged on our website and included in our proposal to the United Nations as supporters.
- Share your ideas for activities that could happen during a Year of Participation by emailing: SDG_ENGAGE@iap2.org.au
- We’ll send you updates and info on more opportunities to get involved as we progress.
Show your support!
Complete the form below to let us know you support the call for an International Year of Engagement and Participation. Don’t forget to let us know if you’re signing up as an individual or on behalf of your organisation*. Thanks in advance!
When completing this form you will be added to our marketing database to stay up-to-date with the latest information.
*Note: if you work in the public sector, you’ll likely need approval from your media and communications team before signing up on behalf of your organisation. In the meantime, feel free to sign up as an individual.