New short course: Delivering Deliberative Engagement | 20 May 2021
Considering a Deliberative Engagement Process? Build your knowledge and skills to confidently implement this growing field of engagement.
Deliberative democracy is a growing field of practice. Communities all around Australasia, and the world, are working together to respond to complex problems: climate change, managing growing populations and development, planning public transport solutions, prioritising capital expenditure fairly, balancing competing health demands, dealing with our waste crisis, domestic violence and the homelessness crisis – topics where there are polarised views or a high level of involvement of interest groups.
Deliberative engagement methods aim to bring together a group of people who represent the community. The group of community members form a “mini public” in age, gender, race, language, income, education or other criteria to reflect the community.
Hone your skills and practice processes in this one-day course presented in our virtual facilitated classroom.
This is aimed at emerging, new and intermediate level engagers that are looking to develop or sharpen their skills in Deliberative Engagement.
You will learn how to:
- Identify what deliberative engagement is and how it differs from, and can complement, other engagement processes. We will also bust some myths along the way!
- Identify and describe the range of deliberative processes and the types of projects they are well suited to.
- Select the most appropriate process for an engagement purpose or project.
- Apply critical steps in planning, commissioning and delivering a deliberative democracy process:
- Develop and deliver aspects of a plan for a deliberative democracy case study process,
- Conduct a random selection and stratification process, exploring how to choose between approaches to selection,
- Develop the fundamental process requirements to deliver deliberative such as panel selection, terms of reference, panel materials and outputs along with developing an expert/witness selection process.
Find out more about Delivering Deliberative Engagement or hit register below to secure your place. Don’t delay, there are only 20 spots available.